"Naamkaran Sanskaar" & Names in Hindi
Names in Hindi are widely used by people of Hindu, Sikh, Jain and Buddhist
According to Hindu religious scripture - Grihyasutras, there are five requisites to selecting a baby name. It depends on culture, religion and education of child's family and should be auspicious.
1. The baby name should be easy to pronounce and should sound pleasant.
2. The baby name should contain a specified number of syllables and vowels.
3. The name should indicate the sex of the baby.
4. The baby name should signify wealth, fame or power.
Similar criterion is applicable while selecting a name for your home, business, or even a pet.
How It's Done?
An elaborate religious procedure called "Naamkaran Sanskaar" is followed by traditional Hindus in naming a baby child. 'Naam' literally means 'name' and 'karan' means 'to make, to effect'.
The 'Naamkaran sanskaar' is performed at home or in a temple. The ceremony usually takes place on the tenth day after birth but can be done later also. Friends and relatives are invited to celebrate the namkaran ceremony who decide the baby name through mutual consensus. The main features of the ceremony involve:
- Abhishek: Apply vermillion on child's forehead to remove bad influences.
- Mekhala(Kardhani) Bandhan: Tie a sacred thread around child's waist. It is symbolic of staying firm in his resolve.
- Madhu Prashan: Feed a spoon of honey to the child. It is meant to develop good speech in the child.
- Surya Namaskaar: The child is taken outdoor to see a rising sun. It is expected that the child will develop life giving properties of the Sun.
- Bhoomi Pujan - Sparshan: This is the first time the child is left on the ground. The Earth is considered to be equal to mother and given due respect.
- Naam Ghosana: The name of child (decided mutually among family members) is revealed at this stage to all present in the ceremony.
- Parspar Parivartan: The mother now hands over the child to his father, who in turn hands over to the senior most person in the family. The child is then passed to each member of the family, and finally reaches back to the mother. This way, each family member gets to show love to the child.
- Lok Darshan: The child is taken outdoors in the open to get a feel of the vastness of the nature.
- Bal Prabodhan: The father of the child whispers the selected baby name in the child's right ear in a correct manner.
How Can We Help?
1. We can help you locate a name of your choice from our collection of popular Hindi names. Click here to access this list of baby names. It is a .pdf document and you need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open it.
2. We also help in transliterating a selected name in Hindi (Devnagri script). No charges.
3. Want some unique, extra-ordinary name suggestions for your child,
then utilize our services. You will get a set of five baby name
suggestions based on the criteria (male/female, starting alphabet, number of syllables, your own specific choice) that you specify.
Names in Hindi Service - Charges
Unique, extra-ordinary name suggestions for your child, you need to pay $100 (USD) for a set of five Hindi names.
Allow us a minimum of two working days for a set of five names.
No charges for transliterating a selected Hindi name.
To request transliteration or more information about our Unique Names in Hindi
If you don't find me online, you can use contact us form to ask a question or schedule a call to discuss about our services.